Space Huggers: A run and gun roguelike for JS13K
🚀 Play Space Huggers in your browser!
The souce code is also available on GitHub!
How To Play
- Use WASD or D-Pad – Move, jump, and climb
- Z or Left click – Shoot – Most things will break, some will burn
- X or Middle click – Roll – brief invulnerability, does damage, gives a boost, puts out fire
- C or Right click – Grenade – 3 per life, use wisely
- You can also use a Xbox or SNES style controller, connect up to 4 for co-op play!
- Kill all enemies to complete the level
- A radar along the bottom of the screen shows nearby enemies
- You start with 10 lives and get 3 more for completing each level
- For an optimal play experience please use Chrome in full screen mode
- There is no end, but for a challenge, try beating the first 5 levels
- Roll to put out fire!
- Rolling also does melee damage to enemies
- Keep your distance from the specialists (white), they roll and flip often!
- You can hold down jump to climb up walls
- Jump flip to get more vertical height (roll immediately after jumping)
- To reach really high places try a grenade jump!
- You can press R to restart the game
- Run and gun / roguelike hybrid gameplay
- 2-4 player jump in local co-op mode
- Procedural level generation of great variety and complexity
- Levels are fully destructible with persistence
- Fire propagation and explosion system
- 5 enemy types with a larger variant
- 7 different crate/barrel/rock types
- 17 sprite textures using a 12 color palette
- Checkpoints can be captured for players to respawn there
- Multi layer procedurally generated parallax background
- Starfield simulation with moving stars, planets, and suns
- Particle systems for rain, snow, blood, explosions, weapons, water and more
- Native resolution rendering up to 1920×1200
- 11 different sound effects with ZzFX
- Up to 4 player co-op with 4 gamepads!
- Custom game engine written during the compo is separate from game code
- Super fast rendering system for up to 50,000 objects at 60 fps
- Physics engine for axis aligned bounding box rigid body dynamics
- Tile based rendering and collision system
- Particle effects system
- Input processing system for keyboard, mouse, gamepads, and touch
- Math library with Vector2, Color and Timer utility classes
- Audio with ZzFX has ability to attenuate sounds by distance
- Debug visualization system not in JS13K build. (press ~ to enter debug mode)
- New Recruit (Green) – A bit shorter, more hesitant, takes only 1 hit
- Soldier (Blue) – Average height and ability, takes 2 hits
- Captain (Red) – Can climb walls and jumps more often, takes 3 hits
- Specialist (White) – Jumps and rolls often, they are ninjas, takes 4 hits
- Demolitions Expert (Purple) – Throws grenades and can’t catch fire, takes 5 hits
- Small chance of a heavy weapons variation that has double health and fires full auto
- Plastic Crate (Brown) – Burns easily and breaks when fully burnt
- Metal Crate & Barrel (Gray) – Is hard to destroy, can’t burn
- Water Barrel (Blue) – Puts out fires and pushes away objects
- Explosive Crate & Barrel (Green) – Burns and explodes after a few seconds
- High Explosive Barrel (Red) – Explodes quickly and much larger than normal explosives
- Rock (Color Varies) – Heavy and very hard to destroy, can’t burn, can crush enemies
- Lava Rock (Glowing Red & Orange) – Anything that touches it is lit on fire